Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Superbikes, Supercars, and On to the Alps

JCW MCS at the famous entrance to the Ferrari Factory




Video Impressions of northern Italy

Today we completed our visit to Italy by visiting the Emilia-Romagna region. This area is pretty dear to me as it is the home of Italian automotive engineering art: Ferrari, Maserati, Lamborghini, Pagani, and Ducati. The food isn't bad either as the region has given the world such Italian staples as prosciutto di Parma, Parmesan Cheese, ravioli, and more.


Jennifer with our Ducati factory tour guide Natascia


The day began with a tour of the Ducati factory at Borgo Panigale, Bologna. This is my third visit to the factory and Jennifer's first. She was quite excited to see bikes being built and learned quite a bit.

With the original Paul Smart 1972 race bike. Scroll down the blog to see my modern interpretation of this bike.

My MINI does wear a Ducati logo. Here we are parked near the factory.


With a Ducati Factory worker's MINI

Autovanti BMW/MINI in Bologna

I stopped by Autovanti BMW/MINI in Bologna to have a diagnostic test carried out because my "Service Engine Soon" light has come on again. No fault codes were present and that gave me comfort as I had a drive through the Alps ahead. Autovanti did not charge me for the diagnostic test and even gave me a printout (in Italian). Nice dealership.

From Borgo Panigale we drove up the A1 to Maranello, the home of Ferrari. Driving around supercar alley is always a treat and we did spot several new Ferraris being road-tested. Cars were being tested at the Fiorano test track as well.

At the Fiorano Test Track Gate

One big highlight of the day was that our car managed to turn the heads of supercar weary Ferrari factory workers. Another memorable moment from this trip!

After Ferrari we drove up towards Verona and on into the Alps, crossing the Brenner Pass and passing through Innsbruck and on to Salzburg, Austria, the birthplace of Mozart and the setting for the musical "The Sound of Music."

More to come!

Sundown in the Austrian Alps

5 comments:

RB said...

No Cavalino? No T-Shirt? =;¬)

Those are some great shots of your MCS at the Ducati & Ferrari factories.

My wife and I spent two days in Salzburg. Beautiful place. We struck out in the dining area while there, unusual for us, but hit an Octoberfest tent and had the best beer I have ever had in one Stiegel.

We enjoyed the hell outta Hamburg, Germany. We did get lost and missed our original train back to Koln (Cologne). Another great beer place in Koln, Germany, Fruh. They bring the keg to your table and have great food, mainly pig. Near the domo or what ever they call that church by the train station.

We are ruled by finding non smoking restaurants and at that time most of europe was still not smoke free. How is that situation now in europe? It's been two years since I've seen my daughter in Holland and I'm told the smoking thing has changed?

So have you had any of the usual MINI idiosyncrasies, buzzing windscreen, creaking boot, flat tire light coming on and off, etceteras, so far? My '02 MCS I had them all and was glad to rid myself of it! Never did get rid of the stumble!

So, how much luggage did you two take? My wife and I would fill the MINI if we were going to be gone as long a you have planned. Any pics of that area would be interesting. Maybe you guys are traveling light.

Thanks for responding to my questions. So many blog folk seem to just ignore people who respond, I find that odd.

Well it's back to getting ready for MITM's in August. Thanks again for the great motoring log, this has been as much fun as when I followed the South African guys journey through Africa and into europe.

Robert said...

Salzburg is definitely "fairy tale" Europe. I also happened to spend time there while doing post-graduate study so I have very good memories of my time in Austria.

Smoking is definitely less. Just had a Stiegl... :) and we had a meal at the Stiegl Keller. Did you have Koelsch beer while you were in Cologne? It is "the" beer from the Cologne region. I think I might have been to Fruh in the past.

The only issue with my car is the Service Engine Light which I've mentioned in the blog. Otherwise it is fine.

We definitely didn't pack light and the rear of the car is fully loaded. Perhaps I'll try to get a picture of the boot.

RB said...

Yah... I love das Kolsch, I think it's spelled. All beers in europe are great except Warsteiner which to me tastes like Bud, to me.
The daughter that lives in Holland lived nearby Koln for two years. Had a ball one long night at the Fruh restaurant on my B'Day, a while back. Then went to some famous bar nearby where they play Dixieland music. Not my fav but I was taken there so had fun anyway.

I think the luggage pics would be great.

Link to my B'Day in Germany:

http://tinyurl.com/2p2hdv

Ned said...

Love your shots of your R53 at the Ducati factory. I own an R53 works here in Ireland, but also a 916, so you've done a tour I'm planning to do in the future also.

Your JCW spoiler is also gorgeous, I'll just have to get one now :)

Robert said...

Hi Ned,

Thanks for stopping by. Always good to hear from a fellow R53 JCW driver and Ducatisti. I was really "iffy" on the JCW spoiler early on. I thought it might be too "racer boy" but have grown to love it. Shop around... you should be able to get a great deal on most R53 JCW items, including the spoiler.

Have a blast on your drive to Bologna!