Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Between Florence and Rome: Siena and Lake Trasimene

JCW MCS at the inner gate of the city of Siena, Italy


The day spent driving through the Italian provinces of Tuscany, Umbria, and Lazio was spectacular in its scenery and off-the-beaten-path roadways. We drove out of Florence and bypassed the A1 Autostrada to take in the old city of Siena. The stop was brief but we did manage to get the car pretty far into the old city.

Western Shore of Lake Trasimene at Castigliano del Lago

We then journeyed by backroads to Lake Trasimene in Umbria. A lake that is not fed by any rivers (although the Tiber runs nearby) the water level rises and falls primarily based on rainfall. As a history buff I have been interested in this lake because it was the site of one of Hannibal Barca's great victories over Rome during the Second Punic War in 217 B.C. At Trasimene, Hannibal managed to ambush a Roman army and trap and destroy it against the northern shore. Panic spread in Rome after this attack and just might have spelled disaster for Rome, but Rome soon recovered.







Siena and Lake Trasimene


After leaving Lake Trasimene we entered the province of Lazio and made our way to the eternal city of Rome.

3 comments:

RB said...

So I think I saw a GPS unit on your dash.. Correct?

If yes how accurate has it been, which model is it?

Robert said...

The GPS unit is a TomTom Go 910. It has been very reliable on this trip. I chose the unit because of the number of maps available on the retail unit. All of continental Europe (to the Russian border)and North America is included. If I were to buy the DVDs for the MINI Nav system that provide the same coverage, I'd probably spend easily 2X to 3X more than the price of the TomTom unit.

So far a big thumbs up! The unit has been about 95% accurate. If it hasn't it was due to new construction. I don't know how I'd get the car into some of the places we've visited without the TomTom! I could still manage but I'd have a TON more work to do each evening.

RB said...

Would of loved that unit when in Balze, Italy, a few years back as my wife and I got lost going to Siena.

Thanks for the info.