Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Where's the MINI?

JCW MCS is indeed making the voyage home to California. The MINI left the port of Rotterdam on 21 September and is due back in L.A. on 16 October. The latest position of the car? It's located somewhere to the south of Ireland and making its way out into the Atlantic.



So why did it take so long for the MINI to get on a ship to go home? If you've followed the story of our adventure to Europe you realize that the cost of getting the car to Amsterdam was exponentially more than planned. Our shipping partner in Rotterdam informed me about the possibility of sharing container space with another car headed to L.A. but I would have to wait until late September for the car to leave Rotterdam. I immediately jumped at the opportunity to save a bit of money (anything helps with the horrid US Dollar/Euro exchange rate!) at the expense of getting the car home earlier.

Indeed, I do miss the MINI but now I'm only a few weeks away from driving the car again.

4 comments:

RB said...

Well that's goodnews.

Try this, put your home address into Google maps and place some address in Holland or in Europe. See what you get.

I got this: http://tinyurl.com/2fmbno

Robert said...

That's a neat trick using Google Maps...

I think that Google might have changed things a bit though since I cannot link an address in Europe with L.A. (at least not with the "swim" option!). Google Maps gives me an error.

RB said...

I should have told you about the BMW/MINI/VDC, in Port Hueneme, tour that SCMM is going to along with the BMW club on November 3rd. I think it's all booked up. You could check through BMW/CCA/LA. There might be an opening... or if you had interest and can't get a spot maybe I could bring a passenger along.

also info here:

http://www.clubscmm.com/board/index.php?topic=4372.0

Let me know @ rballardini@earthlink.net

Robert said...

Check your mail...