Monday, September 3, 2007

Fiat 500 Comes to the US by 2010?


The Fiat 500


I just finished reading my copy of Winding Road Magazine. If you haven't seen this digital monthly and like cars then you owe it to yourself to check it out.


The October issue spends time with two cars that I really like: the Fiat 500 and the Maserati GranTurismo. Both get big thumbs up.

The Maserati is just plain beautiful. Period. An outstanding exterior and interior and a lovely Ferrari sourced motor under the bonnet have me trying to figure out how to get one in the garage. Build quality that meets or exceeds high German standards and gorgeous mechanicals pretty much qualifies the Maser as a potential future classic.

The 500 has me musing about the possibilities of driving the little Fiat stateside. On the opposite side of size and cost when compared with the Maser, the little Fiat still scores big points for style and flair. The design of the new 500 is closer to its original roots than even the new MINI is to its original DNA. The car is smaller than the MINI but oozes just as much charisma and panache as its English rival. The 500 slots itself between the Smart Car and the MINI in terms of size but with the growth of the "premium" small car segment in the U.S. Fiat may be able to capitalize and borrow a page from MINI's experience. I've already seen a few on the roads of Rome this summer and I really like the idea of the 500 as a city car. The possibility of the performance (Abarth) 500 coming to the United States by 2010 is tantalizing indeed.

I'll always love the MINI but the lure of Italia is hard to resist...

Maserati GranTurismo


To read more including news about Ferrari's future plans go to: Winding Road

1 comment:

RB said...

Love them both also. Over at Motoring File some lunkhead compared it to the Ford Ca. HUH?! Where in the world would you come up with that comparison? I would, given the chance, pick the new 2CV over the 500 but don't see giving up the MCs anytime soon. I couldn't afford the Maserati unless I win the Lotto.

I like Winding Road as well.