Sunday, August 26, 2007

Number Plate Relocation Installation

It's been a bit quiet on the blog lately as I've been back in the "normal" routine and haven't been doing "fun" things with the vehicles. Not as much as I have in the past few months actually...

I did pick up a license plate relocation kit from Moss Motors and installed the item on Jennifer's car while she is out-of-town. I have a similar unit on my car as can be seen on the travel pictures from Europe. This is a really nice item; it is especially so if you do not already have the stock center mount license plate bracket already on the car. Jennifer's car never had the front plate mounted so there are no drill holes on the front bumper. The relocation kit provides a way of keeping the car legal since California requires a front and back number plate and it also allows the car to maintain the clean look without drilling into the bumper. The installation is a simple 10 minute job.

Here are some pictures:


Lower grill mounting point with tow hook plug removed



Kit prepared for installation


Mounting bracket installed


Number plate on the car looks good and will keep the authorities and the Department of Motor Vehicles happy
(notice the MINI United Zandvoort mirror caps)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been to the CHP offcie here with booth my '02 & '04's with the plate issue at least 3 time. I usually just double stick it on with tape but this would be easier. It looks like the tow threads are used. Easy on, easy off. I love it!

Lost my window tint on the '02 in Santa Barbara and never tried it on the '04, too expensive to replace 3 times a year, but this would make my little bit of anarchy easier, plate wise.

Looking into Sonoma wine country to live, I wonder if they are as window tint phobic as the SB Police are?

Caio, R

Robert said...

I had some trouble when I drove my car up to San Francisco a few years ago. First, before the San Francisco run, I was ticketed for no front plate and window tint. I put a temporary fix on for the front plate and then had my tint removed, checked and approved, and then reinstalled.

Then, on the trip up north I was stopped twice... one for speeding (kinda hard not to do in the MINI) and a second time for "illegal" clear lamps and window tint (again). I tried to reason with the officer but he would hear none of it, especially my perfectly correct legal argument as to the street legal status of the MINI sourced clear rear lights.

I decided to fight the officer in-court and did a slam dunk on the clear lights issue. CHP 0 Rob 1. I lost the window tint argument but needed to only pay a small fine and did not have to remove the tint. I'll take that as a win. No hassle of having to remove and reinstall.

After this episode I decided to get the license plate relocation kit to avoid having to drill into my pristine front bumper and hopefully draw less unwelcome attention from the CHP and PD looking for a quick revenue fix.

Jennifer has had no problems related to her tint or front plate but I thought it best to not force the issue. Plus, the Moss item looks pretty nice.

Don't know about Sonoma PD but the area is beautiful and you're always just a stone's throw away from Infineon Raceway...

Anonymous said...

I'm surprised you got away with the tint and just a small fine. I'm pretty sure no driver or passenger tint is allowed in CA.

I carry a copy from DMV's website concerning driving lamps. I was stopped once for them and after arguing with the CHP I remembered I had that letter and he begrudgingly let that go but then noticed the tint and no plate. I guess he was trying to get his quota filled.

Infineon would be kool. Moto GP! We are looking from Ventura northward, gotta get outta LA! Tired of the traffic, bad drivers, smog, yada, yada.

Unknown said...

Thanks for installing my front plate! It was nice to come home to this pleasant surprise! You the best!