Wednesday, September 24, 2008

It's Back!

Earlier this summer I decided to have my old college car restored (click HERE for the original post).

Yep, after nearly a month in the shop awaiting and refurbishing parts, rebuilding the fuel tank, replacing fuel pump and barely functioning water pump, timing belt, and full tuneup, the 1989 Isuzu Impulse Turbo is back. I needed to replace the driver and passenger side window tint film damaged when the window regulators were repaired. A Transhine complete car and engine detail finished the project and the Isuzu is once again a fully functional part of the family. I've got a couple of minor issues that I am working on now to pretty much bring the car up to a high state of tune and completeness:

1. I need to replace a missing passenger side door trim panel and have already located a suitable replacement piece.
2. I just installed a subtle chrome exhaust tip to clean up the fairly rusted and timeworn stock exhaust tip which is still visible in the picture below. The exhaust could also benefit from some minor spot welding.
3. I'm expecting receipt very soon of a stock Isuzu replacement retractable antenna. I had a Mazda antenna fitted several years ago to replace the broken stock unit but the new antenna never totally retracted since it wasn't designed for the car. You can see what I mean in the pictures below. Problem solved.
4. I need to re-upholster the leather shifter handle and boot which has deteriorated from years of wear and tear.

Other than those items I do believe I have one of the very few really clean and operational Impulses in the area.

Here are a few low resolution camera phone shots of the repaired and detailed 1989 Isuzu Impulse Turbo on its first evening back:






The Isuzu still looks great for her age! Italian design must have something to do with it... :-)

1 comment:

JohnnyC said...

I have an 89 Isuzu impulse as well, the non-turbo 2.3ltr. Did you order your parts online? If you wouldn't mind giving me some tips on were to get performance parts for it fameemail@gmail.com is my email, thanks!