Saturday, January 5, 2008

Taipei, Taiwan

The Grand Hotel, Taipei, Taiwan
Photo credit: Taiwan Junior


Woke up to the Rose Parade on New Year's Day, caught a bit of the USC rout of Illinois in the Rose Bowl and then it was back off to the airport to catch a a flight to the Ilha Formosa, the "beautiful island" of Taiwan.

I'm in Taipei for a few days to attend the wedding of one of my post-graduate school friends.

I've never been to China before but my first impressions of Taipei are of a clean modern city. The wedding reception was held at the Grand Hotel, a famous Taipei landmark and visually interesting building with a history of intrigue dating back to the years after Taiwan established itself as the Republic of China in the face of communist victory on the mainland. Chiang Kai-Shek, the Nationalist leader of the Republic of China had the Grand Hotel built so that he could entertain dignitaries and foreign guests.

Imposing archway entrance to the Grand Hotel and view of Taipei City with the world's tallest building, Taipei 101, in the distance


The main foyer of the Grand Hotel and the wedding reception hall



My graduate school friend Sunny and her husband Michael during the reception


Taipei skyline with the world's tallest skyscraper, Taipei 101

The wedding reception was very elegant and traditional Chinese and I soaked up the cultural atmosphere. The first few minutes of the meal I felt self-conscious about my ability to use chopsticks properly... I've always been fairly proficient, but somehow I felt that I needed to not make an idiot of myself in front of my Taiwanese hosts. All went well, and I joked with the nice folks around me about feeling a little unnerved... especially when I was asked if I would need a fork and knife!

I'm very happy for my friend Sunny and I wish her and her husband Michael all the best now and in the future.

I have a few more days in Taiwan and I hope to see a bit more of the city including 101 and the National Palace Museum, home of the world's largest selection of Chinese art treasures. The Nationalist Government brought these items from the Forbidden City in Beijing after the Civil War, thus nowhere else in the world can one see such an expansive collection of Chinese art. A dinner with Michael and Sunny is also planned.

I'll try to update the website with photos.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year to you also.

As I stated in an earlier post it's kinda like being Walter Mitty looking a your pics and seeing places I'll never go to.

RB

Unknown said...

Hey Rob,

Looks like I missed out on a great trip! Have fun and enjoy the art for me.

Jen

RB said...

I was wondering if you need a bag porter for these trips... I'm available. ;-)