Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Larini "Club Sport" Exhaust and Alta 15% Pulley Installation on an 04 MINI Cooper S

I've been the one to have all the fun upgrading my JCW MCS with Cooper Motorsport bits over the last couple of years so it was time for my sister to join in the fun. I'd previously installed a BMP/ProMINI Cold Air Intake in her car but it was now time to head back to Steve's Auto Clinic in North Hills, California for a few more "safe" go fast bits. First up was the Larini "Club Sport" cat-back exhaust system. I've been impressed with the stainless steel supercar exhaust maker's products and love the sound of the system. A throaty performance sound with a wonderful burble on the engine overrun when letting off the accelerator, the Larini adds some horsepower and makes the MINI sound like a really mean performance machine. The Larini pedigree of Ferrari/Lamborghini/Porsche experience shines on the MINI. Larini doesn't list the systems for BMWs and MINIs on its website (only supercars on the site!) but make inquiries and you can get a system. I love it and so does my sister!

For more click this link: Larini Systems



Stainless Steel Larini "Club Sport" Exhaust System from the UK

Out with the old...


In with the new...


Nice stainless steel pipe that begins just after the factory catalytic converter


Aligning the Larini exhaust tips


Steve gives a final quality check

I hope to film a clip comparing the sound of the John Cooper Motorsport 225 HPD kit that is installed on my car with the Larini. So far I'm a bit envious of the Larini's wonderful sound...


The second item to install was an Alta 15% reduction pulley, a quick and safe way to get a major boost in horsepower from the stock Cooper S supercharger. This modification along with the Larini exhaust and the already installed ProMINI cold air intake really gave the British Green MCS a shot of serious horsepower. Steve commented that the car was very strong as a stock car and the modifications made a strong car a lot stronger and even more satisfying to drive.



Stock pulley ready for removal

Alta 15% reduction supercharger pulley

Stock pulley removed and shaft ready for Alta installation

Tightening the Alta pulley

Fitting the supercharger drive belt on the Alta pulley


For more click on this link: Alta MINI Performance


I haven't quoted any horsepower gains but I think it is a safe bet that the three "traditional" safe modifications should yield 20-25 horsepower easily but probably even more. Significant numbers I'd say...

1 comment:

RB said...

Hey your sis is one lucky girl!